Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Painted Wall

I live in a 1910 home with my husband and even though it’s come a long way since we bought it 14 years ago, there are still plenty of projects to keep us busy. One of the first rooms my husband and I renovated was the entryway. I envisioned an elegant room gilded with autumn colors, red and amber, but my husband wanted chubby cherubs. Get this – he picked out the wallpaper border! He’s so domesticated (haha).

I painted the ceiling a sky blue, and glazed blue stripes on the walls and glazed the baseboards to match. I smeared clouds on the ceiling, and I say smeared because I really don’t have much talent when it comes to painting. I found some cherubs online, re-worked them in PS, then printed and cut them out and decoupaged them onto the ceiling. We also added the wainscotting and the chair rail, but what tied it all together was the ribbon on the ceiling.

I had a local muralist,
The Painted Wall
, paint the ribbon. It was enthralling to watch the artist effortlessly mix the color to match the ribbon that was on the wallpaper border. The entire ribbon took less than 30 minutes to paint - I couldn't believe it! It would have taken me at least a week with no guarantees that I wouldn't blotch it up. The ribbon made all the difference. Sometimes I find myself just laying on the floor and staring up at the ceiling:)


Before, during and after shots.
Useful Resources:

No comments: